The Office of Student Counseling & Development provides confidential, short-term, personal counseling to the graduate, medical, and physician assistant students in the College of Medicine. For long-term counseling, Dr. Vidaurreta can assist students with referrals to community providers.
1. For emergencies, please call 911
2. UF Counseling & Wellness Center, 352-392-1575
3. Alachua County Crisis Center, 352-264-6789
4. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800-273-TALK (8255)
All contact with students is maintained confidential barring when disclosure is required by law (e.g., danger to self, others, suspicion of abuse of children, the elderly or disabled). This information is not included in the official student records, nor is it disclosed to the administration, faculty or any licensing board without the student’s written consent.
1. To request a counseling appointment, please contact Dr. Vidaurreta via phone or email listed below. Please note that under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to the University. Instead, contact the specific office or individual by phone or in writing.
- Phone (352-273-8383)
- Email (email@example.com)
2. To expedite the scheduling process, please provide the following information:
- Your name and student status (e.g., MS1)
- Your availability – Monday-Friday, 9:30-4:30, and after 5:00 for clinical students
- Specify the urgency of your request – High, (today, if possible), Medium (this week), Low (next week)
3. For urgent matters or when Dr. Vidaurreta is unavailable, students will be referred to the Counseling and Wellness Center on main campus (352-392-1575). The CWC has on-call providers, along with an after hours service.
4. Barring emergencies, please cancel appointments at least 24 hours in advance to provide the slot for another student. If you are 10 minutes late to your appointment, you may need to reschedule for another date and time.
The Office of Student Counseling and Development is located in the Harrell Medical Education Building (across from the Brain Institute). Take the elevator to the 4th floor, then walk straight toward the office of Physician Assistant Studies. Turn right down the hallway past the PA office. Before reaching Classroom #460, enter the office suite on the left (#446) for “Student Counseling.” Proceed to the first cubicle on the left, and take a seat in the student counseling waiting area. Dr. Vidaurreta will greet you there at the appointment time or shortly thereafter. For assistance, please call 273-8383.
Additionally, you may opt to be seen at another location in the Health Science Center. Simply make this request known when you schedule your appointment. I meet students in the Department of Community Health & Family Medicine waiting room (Suite N1-2, MSB) – located near the elevators between Shands food court (Subway) and Sun Terrace (Chick-fil-A). For assistance, please call 273-5155.
ABSENCES FOR HEALTH SERVICES
Students who require an absence from required educational activities due to the need to access health services must inform the responsible faculty member (e.g., course/clerkship director) as far in advance as possible to discuss the request and obtain permission to be absent from assigned educational activities. Once the absence is approved, the student must notify the course/clerkship administrator. The Course Director or Clerkship Director will notify the student of makeup requirements. Students shall not be penalized due to absence from class or other scheduled academic activity for medical reasons.
UFCOM, Policies and Procedures, page 31
MEDICAL STUDENT MISTREATMENT POLICY
For policies about Medical Student Mistreatment please follow the hyperlink: http://osa.med.ufl.edu/policies/