The Office of Student Counseling & Development provides confidential, short-term, personal counseling to the graduate, medical, and physician assistant students in the College of Medicine.  For long-term counseling, students    will receive referral assistance to local providers.  Additionally, referrals can be expedited for psychiatric and neuropsychological evaluation services.



1. To request a counseling appointment, please send an email to Dr. Dede with the following information:

  • Your name and student status (e.g., MS1)
  • Your availability for the entire week (e.g., Monday-Friday, 10:00-4:00 and after 5:00 for clinical students)
  • Specify the urgency of your request (e.g., same day, this week, next week)
  • If a reply is not sent within one business day, please resend your email or call the Office of Educational Affairs at 352-273-7925

2.  Students needing to be seen immediately are to contact one of the following walk-in resources:

  • Emergency Room, 911
  • Counseling and Wellness Center, 352-392-1575
  • Crisis and Emergency Resource Center, 352-392-1575
  • U Matter We Care, 352-294-2273



1.  Emergency, 911

2.  Counseling & Wellness Center, 352-392-1575

3.  U Matter We Care, 352-294-2273

4.  Student Health Care Center, 352-392-1161

5.  Alachua County Crisis Center, 352-264-6789

6.  TrevorLifeline, 866-488-7386

7.  National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800-273-TALK (8255)


The Office of Student Counseling and Development is located in the Harrell Medical Education Building (across from the Brain Institute). Take the elevator to the 4th floor then walk down the hallway to the right past the Physician Assistant Studies and Medical Education offices.  Enter the last door on the left (Suite 446) and proceed around to the first cubicle on the left.  Walk back to the Student Counseling Waiting Area and you will be greeted there at your appointment time.


Confidentiality is maintained barring when disclosure is required by law (e.g., danger to self, others, suspicion of abuse of children, the elderly or disabled). This information is not included in the official student records, nor is it disclosed to the administration, faculty or any licensing board without the student’s written consent.

Absences for Health Services

Students who require an absence from required educational activities due to the need to access health services must inform the responsible faculty member (e.g., course/clerkship director) as far in advance as possible to discuss the request and obtain permission to be absent from assigned educational activities. Once the absence is approved, the student must notify the course/clerkship administrator. The Course Director or Clerkship Director will notify the student of makeup requirements. Students shall not be penalized due to absence from class or other scheduled academic activity for medical reasons.

UFCOM, Policies and Procedures, page 22

Medical Student Mistreatment Policy

For policies about Medical Student Mistreatment